Disaster Legal Helpline

1800 113 432


Get Help: Top Image

Emergency and crises assistance

Emergency and crises assistance

Last updated: October 2019

The Commonwealth and Victorian Governments occasionally provide limited one-off financial help to people who suffered loss as a result of declared natural, environmental or other disasters. This page provides links to relevant schemes run by the Commonwealth and Victorian governments for people based in Victoria.

Commonwealth Government

The Commonwealth Government’s Disaster Recovery Allowance assists people who have been adversely affected by natural disasters in various local government areas. 

More information about help in an emergency is available on the Commonwealth's Department of Human Services website

Other payments to help you in a crisis

You may be able to apply for an immediate income support payment. This is available even if you are not already receiving a Centrelink benefit. The type of payment or assistance that you may be able to get will depend on your circumstances. Examples include:

  • advance lump-sum payment for people on benefits
  • crisis payment, for people on benefits
  • special benefit
  • carer adjustment payment
  • pension loan schemes
  • early release of your superannuation.

For more information, call the Commonwealth Department of Human Services:

  • Help in an Emergency 132 850, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
  • Farmer assistance 132 316, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services

The Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services website has information on how it can give financial crisis support.

It includes information on:

Further information

If you need more information about getting emergency relief assistance, please contact the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or visit their website.