The Country Fire Authority (CFA) operates two compensation schemes, one covering volunteers and one for paid workers. The information provided in this factsheet relates to CFA volunteers, which may include casual firefighters or auxiliary workers.

The CFA Volunteer Compensation Scheme (the scheme) is established under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958. Compensation may be available to people who sustain a recognised work-related personal injury or illness as a result of their service as a CFA volunteer.

The types of compensation payable can include: 

  • weekly payments for loss of income

  • medical and like expenses

  • impairment benefit

  • superannuation contributions after 52 weeks of weekly payments

  • claim for damages.

For more information about the scheme and how to make a claim, visit WorkSafe's webpage for firefighters.

For further assistance, contact the CFA Headquarters on (03) 9262 8444.

Note: you cannot make a claim against the scheme using a WorkSafe/WorkCover form.