Disaster Legal Help Victoria

Other organisations that can help

Links and details of organisations that can provide assistance in the event of a disaster.

Counselling and support

Beyond Blue

Provides information and support to people affected by anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, for the cost of a local call.

1300 224 636, available 24/7.

Webchat available 24/7.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/External Link


Free and confidential counselling for anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one.

1300 845 745, Monday to Sunday, 6am to midnight.

https://griefline.org.au/External Link

Kids Helpline

Free (even from a mobile) and confidential counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

1800 551 800, available 24/7.

Webchat available 24/7.

https://kidshelpline.com.au/External Link


Provides crisis support and suicide prevention services to people experiencing emotional distress.

Tel: 13 11 14, available 24/7.

SMS: 0477 131 114, available 24/7.

Webchat available 24/7.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/External Link


Free health advice from a registered nurse.

1300 606 024, available 24/7.

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/primary-care/nurse-on-callExternal Link


Telephone counselling and support service for Victorian parents and carers of children, with experienced social workers, psychologists and family therapists.

132 289, Monday to Sunday, 8am to midnight.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/serviceprofiles/parentline-serviceExternal Link

Court and dispute services

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

Free dispute resolution services across Victoria with a focus on residential tenancy conflicts. Provides mediators for disputes involving fencing, trees, planning, drainage and water run-off, and other issues.

1300 372 888, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.disputes.vic.gov.au/External Link

Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia

Deals with cases involving family law, migration, and federal law matters.

1300 352 000, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

Webchat (when available) open from 8.45am (excluding national public holidays).

https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au/External Link

Magistrates’ Court of Victoria

The first level of the Victorian justice system, hearing most matters that reach court. Sits in 51 locations across the state.

https://www.mcv.vic.gov.au/External Link to find the courthouse closest to you.

https://fvio.mcv.vic.gov.au/External Link for information on applying for a Family Violence Intervention Order.

Supreme Court of Victoria

The highest court in Victoria, dealing with the most serious criminal and civil cases.

(03) 8600 2000, Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.

https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/External Link

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Resolves disputes and hears cases. Has a dedicated list for disputes between tenants and residential rental providers.

1300 018 228, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/External Link


Dial 000 if you are in need of immediate assistance.

VicEmergency Hotline

A real-time emergency tracking website that provides information about major incidents in Victoria including floods, storms, fires, earthquakes, tsunami, beach closures, shark sightings and more. You can also access preparedness and recovery information related to disasters.

1800 226 226, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/External Link


Fair Work Commission

Australia’s workplace tribunal which hears disputes relating to unfair dismissal, bullying, redundancy, awards, industrial action, and more.

1300 799 675, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

0438 244 996 for out of hours contact regarding urgent industrial action applications only.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/External Link

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman conducts workplace investigations and will also provide information about workplace entitlements and your rights and responsibilities at work.

13 13 94, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/External Link


An independent, not-for-profit community legal centre that provides Victorian employees with information about their workplace rights.

1800 331 617 (Regional) Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, Wednesday until 8.30pm.

(03) 9662 1933 (Metro) Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, Wednesday until 8.30pm.

https://jobwatch.org.au/External Link

WorkSafe Victoria

Victoria’s workplace health and safety regulator. Provides support to people injured in workplace accidents.

1800 136 089 (Advisory line), Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 6.30pm.

13 23 60 (Emergency line), available 24/7.

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/External Link


Country Fire Authority (CFA)

Volunteer and community-based fire and emergency services organisation. Provides advice about developing fire plans as well as fire safety, fire behaviour, incident management, and community preparation.

https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/contactExternal Link for the contact details of your region's District Headquarters.

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Combines climate change, energy, environment, water, forests, planning and emergency management functions. Can be contacted for information about bushfire recovery.

13 61 86, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

https://www.delwp.vic.gov.au/External Link

Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF)

An advocacy group and association for farmers in Victoria. Provides employment-related information for the farming sector, including on industrial relations, employment services, OH&S, and farm safety.

1300 882 833, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.vff.org.au/External Link

Government services

Government provider of social, health and child support services and payments.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/phone-us?context=26266External Link for a list of Centrelink contact numbers.

Department of Fairness, Families and Housing (DFFH)

Connects people who are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or escaping family violence with services close to them that can provide crisis accommodation.

1800 825 955, available 24/7.

https://services.dffh.vic.gov.au/getting-helpExternal Link

Department of Human Services (DHS)

Provides payments and support to people going through a crisis or recovering from a disaster.

180 22 66 (Emergency information line), Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.

132 316 (Farmer assistance), Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/crisis-and-special-help?context=60042External Link

Disaster Assist

Provides financial assistance to Australians impacted by current or previous disasters either in Australia or overseas. Also provides up-to-date information, relevant free-call numbers, information on Australian Government assistance packages and links to other relevant websites.

https://www.disasterassist.gov.au/External Link

Victorian Building Authority

Building and plumbing industry regulator.

1300 815 127, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/External Link

Victorian Storm and Flood Recovery Hotline

Victorians impacted by the June 2021 storms and floods can call this hotline for assistance with registering for clean-up of structures on private property, accessing a recovery support worker, mental health and well-being support, or financial counselling and information on available payments.

1800 560 760, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

Family and children

Family Relationship Centres

Provides information and counselling to families, including mediation and dispute resolution.

1800 050 321 (Advice line), Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 10am to 4pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.familyrelationships.gov.au/External Link

Services Australia (Child Support)

Provides payments and services to assist with raising a child.

131 272 (Child support), Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.45pm.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/External Link

Family violence

No To Violence – Men’s Referral Service

Support for men who would like to change their behaviour and for people concerned about other men’s behaviour.

1300 766 491, Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm.

Webchat (when available).

https://ntv.org.au/External Link

Safe Steps

Provides telephone crisis counselling, referrals, information and support for people impacted by family violence.

1800 015 188 (Family violence response line), available 24/7.

Webchat available Monday to Friday, 9am to midnight.

https://www.safesteps.org.au/External Link

Finance and Insurance

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)

A regulatory body that ensures individuals and businesses comply with Australian competition, fair trading, and consumer protection laws. Also regulates national infrastructure services.

1300 302 502, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

Webchat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.accc.gov.au/External Link

Australian Financial Complaints Authority

Dispute resolution for the financial services industry, covering consumer complaints about credit, finance and loans, insurance, banking deposits and payments, investments and financial advice, and superannuation.

1800 931 678, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.afca.org.au/External Link

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

National entity in charge of taxation.

13 28 61 (Individual enquiries), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

13 28 66 (Business enquiries), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

1800 806 218 (Emergency support line for disaster assistance), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

https://www.ato.gov.au/External Link

Consumer Action Law Centre

Legal advice and financial counselling for vulnerable people in Australia.

1800 466 477, Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm, (closed Tuesday mornings).

(03) 9629 6300, Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm, (closed Tuesday mornings).

Webchat (when available).

https://consumeraction.org.au/External Link

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Part of the state government’s Department of Justice and Community Safety, responsible for enforcing compliance with consumer laws and mediating disputes between consumers and businesses, and tenants and landlords.

1300 558 181, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/External Link

Financial Counselling Victoria

Professional association for financial counsellors in Victoria, providing resources and support to financial counsellors.

(03) 9663 2000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://fcvic.org.au/External Link

Insurance Council of Australia

The representative body for the general insurance industry of Australia. Assists people who have been involved in a severe weather event and cannot remember who their insurer is or who have lost their insurance papers.

See https://insurancecouncil.com.au/consumers/help-in-disasters/External Link if you have been affected by a disaster and need help finding your insurance provider.

1300 884 934, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://insurancecouncil.com.au/External Link

Insurance Law Service

Legal advice in relation to insurance problems for people under financial stress.

1300 663 464, Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm.

https://insurancelaw.org.au/External Link

National Debt Helpline

Free financial counselling and help with dealing with debt.

1800 007 007, Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm.

Webchat (when available).

https://ndh.org.au/External Link

Rural Finance

Oversees the administration of federal and state government rural funding programs, including Natural Disaster Relief Schemes.

1800 260 425, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.ruralfinance.com.au/External Link

State Revenue Office

Victorian government revenue management agency responsible for administering state tax law and collecting taxes, duties, and levies.

132 161, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.sro.vic.gov.au/External Link

State Trustees

Victorian Government-owned company providing administration, trustee, and estate-related services.

1300 138 672, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

https://www.statetrustees.com.au/External Link



Insurance provider with package types including business, car, CTP, home, landlord, travel, life, boat, and caravan.

1800 010 075 (Emergency), available 24/7.

13 10 13 (Claims), Monday to Friday 8am to 6.30pm, Saturday 8am to 5pm.

https://www.allianz.com.au/External Link

CGU Insurance

A commercial, rural and personal lines insurer that includes packages for car and vehicle, home and contents, travel, lifestyle, and business insurance.

13 24 81 (General), Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.

13 24 80 (Claims), Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.

https://www.cgu.com.au/External Link


Provides car and vehicle, home and contents, and business insurance. Part of the Suncorp network.

13 10 10, Monday to Sunday, 8am to 10pm, (excluding public holidays).

https://www.gio.com.au/External Link

OnePath (formerly ING Insurance)

Superannuation and insurance provider that has packages for life cover, trauma cover, total and permanent disability cover, child cover, income protection cover, and living expense cover.

133 667 (Insurance purchased through a provider), Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm.

132 062 (Insurance purchased through OnePath), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

https://www.onepath.com.au/External Link

QBE Insurance

Provides car and vehicle, home and contents, and business insurance. If you are insured via an insurance broker and your claim is during business hours, you should contact your insurance broker before contacting QBE.

13 37 23 (Claims), available 24/7.

https://www.qbe.com/auExternal Link

RACV Insurance

Provides insurance packages including car, boat, home, and caravan cover, as well as emergency roadside assistance and emergency home assist.

13 19 03 (Claims).

13 11 11 (Roadside assist).

13 46 63 (Emergency home assist).

https://www.racv.com.au/External Link

Suncorp Metway Ltd

A banking provider that offers home loans and credit cards, as well as insurance and superannuation packages.

13 25 24 (Claims), available 24/7.

https://www.suncorp.com.au/External Link

The organising body for community legal centres. Community legal centres provide free or low-cost legal advice. To find your local community legal centre go to https://www.fclc.org.au/find_a_community_legal_centreExternal Link .

(03) 9652 1501


Justice Connect

Provides free legal help in certain situations, including for people experiencing homelessness and for small businesses, farms and other primary producers affected by floods, cyclones and bushfires. Apply online for help at https://help.justiceconnect.org.au/External Link

(03) 8636 4400

https://justiceconnect.org.au/External Link

Law Institute of Victoria

The peak body for the Victorian legal profession, representing 19,000 lawyers and people working in the law state-wide. Call the Law Institute of Victoria's Legal Referral Service for referral to a lawyer near you who will provide up to the first 30 minutes of the consultation free of charge.

(03) 9607 9550, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.liv.asn.au/find-a-lawyerExternal Link

Social Security Rights Victoria

Specialist social security law advice for the general public, as well as for lawyers and community workers who are assisting their clients with Centrelink matters.

(03) 9481 0355 (Metro), Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm.

1800 094 164 (Regional), Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm.

https://www.ssrv.org.au/External Link

Provides free legal information over the phone and legal advice and representation in courts and tribunals.

1300 792 387, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Webchat available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/External Link

Provides free legal information and assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. An after-hours service is provided with all calls diverted to a rostered on-call Client Services Officer.

1800 064 865, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.vals.org.au/External Link


Consumer Affairs Victoria

State government body that can mediate disputes between tenants and landlords. To access the section for renters, visit https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/rentingExternal Link

1300 558 181, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/External Link

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

Free and independent dispute resolution service for complaints about energy and water providers.

1800 500 509, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

Webchat available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.ewov.com.au/External Link

Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA)

Statutory authority of the state government that holds all Victorian residential tenancy bonds, including for long-term caravans and rooming houses. Claims for bond refunds can be organised through the website.

1300 137 164, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://rentalbonds.vic.gov.au/External Link

Tenants Victoria

A specialist community legal centre that promotes and protects the rights of tenants in Victoria. Provides advice and information about tenancy laws.

(03) 9416 2577 (Advice line), Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 1.30pm (excluding public holidays).

1800 068 860 (Social housing tenants), Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm (excluding public holidays).

https://tenantsvic.org.au/External Link

Tenancy Plus Support Program

Tenancy Plus aims to prevent homelessness and supports renters, including community housing renters, to remain in housing.

https://www.housing.vic.gov.au/tenancy-plus-support-programExternal Link

Victorian Small Business Commission

Provides support for tenants and landlords in response to COVID-19, including mediation and negotiation assistance.

13 87 22

https://www.vsbc.vic.gov.au/External Link

Translation and hearing impaired services

Hearing impaired – National Relay Service (NRS)

A free service, available 24/7, that assists people who are deaf or have a speech or hearing impediment with making phone calls.

To access a standard, mobile, 1300, or 1900 DSS number using the service, call 133 677 (TTY) or 1300 555 727 (Speak and listen) and ask to be put through to the phone number you wish to contact.

To access a 1800 DSS number using the service, call 1800 555 677 (TTY) or 1800 555 727 (Speak and listen) and ask to be put through to the phone number you wish to contact.

https://nrschat.nrscall.gov.au/nrs/internetrelayExternal Link

Interpreters – Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS)

An over-the-phone interpreting service provided by the government for people who do not speak English. This service is free, or the cost of a local call, depending on the organisation you wish to be contact with the aid of an interpreter.

131 450, available 24/7.

https://www.tisnational.gov.au/External Link


Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

An independent and free service that resolves complaints against electricity, gas and water companies in Victoria.

1800 500 509, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).

https://www.ewov.com.au/External Link

Essential Services Commission

An independent regulator that monitors essential service providers with respect to price, quality, and reliability.

(03) 9032 1300, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

1300 664 969, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

https://www.esc.vic.gov.au/External Link

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

An independent and free service that resolves complaints against phone and internet service providers in Victoria.

1800 062 058, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.

https://www.tio.com.au/External Link

Reviewed 10 October 2022